Stream Box S2 Ultra
Audio optimized network bridge and USB detox device
We live in a modern world!
With the Stream Box S2 Ultra we have designed a completely new product in the streaming world. It features never seen control scenarios and unprecedented audio performance. Its main goal is to be a universal device that can get any USB DAC into the network, upgrading your favourite high-end DAC with modern and future proof streaming capabilities.
With the gaining ground of internet streaming services, such as TIDAL or Spotify, the consumer‘s interest has shifted towards network enabled devices. Many great sounding products though do not offer any network ability, either because they are too old or their main focus was not on this subject. The solution has often been to replace them with a new and modern device, stream audio via BT or to comprimise and use a smartphone or tablet via their analogue ouput to feed active speakers or amplifiers.
There never was a really good solution for the consumer. Untill now.
Stream Box S2 Ultra: the smart addition
Stream Box S2 Ultra closes the gap, it offers modern connectivity with its network inputs and USB A output. This USB output is perfectionized for audio signals, it uses a dedicated internal power supply and only top audiophile grade components. You won‘t run into file-support issues, as Stream Box S2 Ultra acts as a network bridge, bypassing the files directly to your digital to analogue converter. Since most DACs only have one USB input, we have designed Stream Box S2 Ultra also to be a USB detox device. Simply connect your PC to the micro USB input of the unit and connect our DAC to the audio output. This way you can clean the noisy signal of your PC, while enjoying your music with it.
Our new remote control iOS and Android App is based on an opensource project and has a large community behind it. This guarantees full support and future improvements.
Stream Box S2 Ultra: feature galore!
Stream Box S2 Ultra is fully remoteable via smart devices and a regular web-browser. It offers support for the most popular streaming services: Spotify, TIDAL, Qobuz, HRA Streaming. These services offer you a sheer endless amount of music, guaranteeing you, that you never run out of music to listen to. By implementing TuneIn, we also give you the option to listen to various internet radio stations. You can listen to your favourite radio shows, the news and discover new channels from all around the world – with just a few clicks.
The back-sided HDMI video output lets you connect your monitor to the Stream Box S2 Ultra. It will then show you the graphic user interface, ready to act on your commands. With the implementation of Shairport we were even able to give the iDevice users out there another possibilty to send data to our Stream Box S2 Ultra.
There are two USB inputs on Stream Box S2 Ultra, one front sided and one back sided. Both give you the possibility to connect an external harddrive to the unit. Via one of the various control scenarios (App, Webbrowser, external monitor) you can pick from your own selection of audio. The file system support goes up to PCM 32bit / 352.8 kHz and DSD256.
Here at Pro-Ject, we are big supporters of the Roon software, that is why we wanted the Stream Box S2 Ultra to be Roon Ready and fully certified. This way you can simply pick your Stream Box S2 Ultra in the Roon interface and send bit-perfect audio streams to it over your network.
This incredible feature set makes Stream Box S2 Ultra bullet-proof for all future events. Together with Pre Box S2 Digital they become the most versatile and audiophile set in its price class.
- High resolution network bridge
- Audio optimized USB A output
- Multi-room enabled
- Dual USB A input for external storage
- HIGHRESAUDIO Streaming
- Network-enables any modern DAC with USB input
- Internet Radio (TuneIn)
- DLNA enabled
- Bypasses all audio formats to the DAC
- Cleans up the audio signal from a PC
- Fully Roon Ready and certified
- CD ripping (requires external USB CD drive)
- Uses dedicated power supplies
- HDMI video output
- Controllable via smart devices and PC/Laptop
- New control app!
- Ethernet and WiFi connectivity
|Audio Formats||PCM 32bit/352.8kHz, DSD256|
|Streaming Services||TIDAL, Spotify, Qobuz|
|Supported data protocols||RAAT, Shairport, DLNA|
|Multi-room||Up to six devices|
|Inputs||2 x USB A|
|Micro USB B (PC-Detox)|
|Network (Ethernet, WiFi)|
|WiFi Standards||802.11 b/g/n/d/e/h/i|
|BT||BT Classic + EDR v2.1, v3.0, v4.0 and Low Energy|
|Outputs||Audio optimized USB A|
|Controllable via||App, Web Browser, Roon|
|Weight||375 g (without power supply)|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||105 x 37 x 105 mm|
EISA Best Product 2018 – 2019
Does the world really need another streamer? Perhaps not, but the Stream Box S2 Ultra offers so much more. Think of it as a powerful network bridge that routes your music from a multiplicity of sources. Just plug in a DAC, and the Stream Box S2 Ultra plays music from a hard disk via its USB-A inputs, Bluetooth aptX, and online streaming services such as Tidal, Spotify, and Shoutcast, plus DLNA- or Wi-Fi-connected NAS drives. It’s Roon Ready, and there’s also an HDMI video output. There’s also a handy control app for iOS and Android, and savvy users can even customise the system to their needs. Working at up to 352.8kHz/32-bit PCM and DSD256, it’s future-proofed, too.
“Strongly recommended to those who don’t want to drop big bucks on a networked digital music system.”
• Indistinguishable from that using my [Roon Nucleus+ with Roon to stream audio over my Ethernet-wired network. Not bad for something that costs only one-third the Roon server’s price.
• The Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital‘s main sense-oriented effects were its impact and its beat-emphasizing drive.
• The Pre Box S2 Digital and Stream Box S2 Ultra together have a good sense of drive, yet there was no „digital edge“ – I could listen for extended periods with my headphones without fatigue.
• Voices sounded natural, backing voices were farther back on the soundstage, and the bass guitar sounded gentle yet powerful.
• The two Pro-Ject components cost about the same as the headphones, and take up less space on my desk than a boxed set of Mozart Piano Sonatas.
• The piano revealed a finer tonality through the Stream Box while the presentation of the space via the PC was noticeably flatter, more two-dimensional.
• The orchestral textures had more information through the Stream Box and less detailed description via the PC.
• USB Detox released the orchestral presentation and sense of space.
• The Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra by is a functional, tiny wonder with many applications.
• We are dealing with a device that offers a new sense of the possibilities of digital playback, both in a variety of applications and features, and in innovations that affect the daily practice of the audiophile.
• Every modern digital fan will find many reasons to add it to their rack.
The network password has to be correct. There won't be an error message if it the password is incorrect. If this is the case you have to perform a factory reset.
• Get a USB Thumb Drive • Format it as “FAT32” using the MBR partition table. Please note that MacOS often uses a different partition table by default! Please make sure to select the MBR partition table when formatting. • Download this file http://repo.volumio.org/utils/factory_reset • Please use Google Chrome or Firefox if the download doesn't start automatically • Copy it on the Thumb Drive (make sure the name of the file is exactly "factory_reset") • Turn off the Stream Box S2 Ultra and unplug the ethernet cable (if connected) • Plug the thumb drive to one of the USB ports • Turn on the Stream Box S2 Ultra • IMPORTANT: During this phase the unit might restart multiple times and this factory reset will take about 5 minutes. • The factory reset will be completed when the Net-LED starts blinking again
Firmware Updates must be searched for and downloaded manually. Please check Settings -> System -> System Updates for new updates from time to time! The Stream Box S2 Ultra is continuously supported by new Firmware Updates.
In the Advanced Options -> Options when mounting a share please try to add: vers=1.0