Pre Box RS2 Digital
High-end pre-amplifier, DAC, Headphone amp
The most universal & future-proof high end pre-amplifier, DAC, headphone amp!
The Pre Box RS2 Digital is the bigger brother of our award winning and ground breaking Pre Box S2 Digital. It uses the same excellent sounding DAC chips as the S2 version, proving once again that the Pre Box S2 Digital was already at the very top of high-end DACs and absolutely beyond its competition. Based on the same core-design principles, the feature set is extended and driven to new heights. The result is a fantastic sounding and very versatile box. The perfect partner for the cream of the crop of high-end amplifiers and speakers alike!
The Pre Box RS2 Digital is a DAC and preamplifier that uses a dual-mono configuration of the highest-class D/A converters from ESS Sabre. ESS9038Q2M chips provide the highest sound quality in price-affordable, high-end circuits. Unlike most of DAC´s in this price range, the Pre Box RS2 Digital includes dual DACs and separate signal paths for the left and right channels. Also thanks to these converters, the Pro Box RS2 Digital supports up to 32-bit / 768 kHz files in PCM and DSD formats (up to DSD512) via USB, covering any digital file you can buy or stream.
The analog output is a buffer that is both solid state and high-quality tube. Thus, the customer can choose which of the option is preferred. The Pre Box has eight digital filters. One of them is the proprietary optimal transient digital filter from the MQA creators. With these filters, the listener can customize the sound to suit their own preferences. Pre Box RS2 Digital comes with full HW and SW support for MQA technology (Master Quality Authenticated).
In the Pre Box, the USB input signal is processed by a powerful multi-core XMOS microcontroller with advanced Multi-Core RISC architecture. The CPLD MAX II (Complex Programmable Logic Device) Altera is used for re-clocking, which together with the XMOS microcontroller brings high-quality processing of both classical and MQA technology. For the ideal use of this technology, it is best to connect the Pre Box to our Stream Box S2 Ultra in conjunction with the TIDAL service. You can also enjoy MQA quality by linking it with our new revolutionary CD transport, the CD Box RS2 T. The CD Box RS2 T can be connected to the Pre Box by reliable I²S differential bus via the HDMI connector where the Pre Box RS2 Digital also provides the master clock (16.9344 MHz).
The headphone amplifier is the ultimate design. No compromise. No coupling capacitors. Not even on the output. All of the the amplifier is DC coupled. A very fast DC servo assures no DC voltage on the output. Its output power is suitable for all kind of headphones.
A premium full aluminium remote control is included in the packaging and the Pre Box RS2 Digital is available in a high-quality silver or black aluminium case. The big display screen on the front shows all relevant information in an easy to read, clean and structured way. Navigating the menu is very responsive and fast, allowing you to set up the unit to your preferences in seconds!
- Dual Mono DACs: 2x ESS9038Q2M
- High Quality optionally selectable upsampling of PCM and/or MQA content with propriatory filtering
- Advanced re-clocking powered by new XMOS chip with Mulit-Core RISC architecture
- 9 digital inputs: i²S HDMI, AES/EBU, Toslink, S/PDIF coax, Bluetooth v4.0
- Analogue: Pre-out XLR/RCA/headphone, RCA input
- Fully balanced double mono design
- Output stage switchable between 6922 tube & solid state
- Ultra-linear and ultra low noise
- New high-quality display with responsive and fast UI design
- High quality full Aluminium remote control included
- Available in silver and black
|DAC||2x ESS9038Q2M (dual mono - 32bit/768kHz/DSD512)|
|Digital inputs||1 x USB 2.0 Audio 32/768 + DoP and Native-DSD up to DSD512|
|1 x HDMI I2S for CD Box RS2 T|
|2 x S/PDIF optical 24/192|
|1 x S/PDIF coaxial 24/192|
|1x AES/EBU balanced 24/192|
|MQA Support||full MQA unfolding by hardware|
|Line-level input||1 pair XLR|
|1 pair RCA|
|Input impedance||15 kOhm|
|Output impedance||180 Ohm solid state, 220 Ohm tube|
|Analog outputs||Pre-out (XLR & RCA), Headphone (6,35mm jack)|
|Headphone output power||90 mW / 300 Ohm; 245 mW / 32 Ohm; 150 mW / 8 Ohm|
|THD+N (20Hz - 20kHz)||< 0.006% solid state/0.017% tube @ 2V RMS, 1 kHz|
|Masterclock output||16,9344MHz for CD Box RS2 T|
|Bluetooth Version||Fully embedded Bluetooth® v4.0|
|Bluetooth Codecs||SBC, AAC, AptX|
|Output Buffer||discrete and balanced, tube and solid state|
|Tubes||4 x 6922EH|
|Power supply||20V/3A DC, 110-240V/50, 60 Hz|
|Power consumption||max. 1,2A DC, <0,5W in standby|
|Dimensions W x H x D (with sockets)||206 x 72 x 222 mm|
|Weight||1710 g without power supply|
EISA Best Product 2019 – 2020
Although best known for its turntables, Pro-Ject is building an enviable reputation in digital audio, too – and this two-box CDtransport and DAC/preamp is its most impressive component yet. A real ground-up design, the CDBox RS2 T features a customised CD-Pro 8 transport mechanism supported by an alloy/carbon fibre chassis and state-of-the-art disc-reading electronics. Digital connections to the hugely flexible Pre Box RS2 Digital DAC even include HDMI, with a synchronising clock. The latter also boasts Bluetooth, USB-B, coaxial and Toslink digital inputs, with a choice of solid-state and tube-based analogue outputs. With support for MQA and no fewer than seven digital filter options too, this combination delivers CDand hi-res digital audio sound in a range of delicious flavours – this is true audiophile performance and supreme flexibility, packed into two remarkably compact enclosures!
The Pro-Ject really nailed it
• They’re beautiful, they’re elegant – jewel-like.
• If you own many hundreds of CDs and you want a great CD-Transport: This is it!
• You can run this fully-balanced solid-state or fully-balanced tube: That is pretty special.
• If you like to tweak your sound, this DAC is for you!
• The tubes added sweetness and roundness to the sound that I found very pleasant.
• If you’re a hi-res guy or lady and want maximum detail and clarity, stick with the solid-state mode.
• This is what I heard: Greater control, greater transparency, low-level detail, and a clearer picture with the Pro-Ject transport.
• There’s just more texture – more believable sound.
The sound signature flirts with the analog side of life
• The rich, bright tones of the plucked strings underlined the atmosphere.
• The Pro-Ject duo comfortably laid out the soundscape. The warm cues are a tribute to vinyl sound.
• The aesthetic look on the shelf is great.
• Kudos for the headphone output on the front. The dedicated small headphone amplifier sounds very good.
• The two Pro-Jects have to follow the rhythm guitars. We need gritty dirt from left and right. Everything powerful on the rhythmic one. It worked great, with a nice edge.
• A CD/DA-converter combination has to put things in order on the one hand but, on the other hand, also swing. The drive and converter did precisely that, with bold and punchy bass. Also, the brass section spread out in a stereophonic cinemascope.