Phono Box DS3 B
True Balanced, Dual Mono & Fully Discrete Audiophile Phono Stage
A New Level of Balance
The New Phono Box DS3 B
At Pro-Ject, balanced connections were exclusive to our RS range of products until now. The Phono Box DS3 B model offers some of the high-end features of the Phono Box RS2 at an affordable price and trusted Pro-Ject quality. One of those is our new True Balanced Connection.
A Technical Deep Dive
The Phono Box DS3 B incorporates a true, fully balanced gain stage design. Whether you're using a single-ended RCA or balanced connection, both times the fully symmetrical gain stage can optimize the signal-to-noise ratios, feeding the fully passive and discrete RIAA equalization stage with the cleanest signal to work its magic on. Entirely split passive equalization allows for better impedance matching and lower deviation from the ideal RIAA curve. The Phono Box DS3 B uses fully discrete audio circuitry. A discrete circuit is composed of disparate, individual electronic components, also called discrete components. Years of experience have proven that even the best Op-Amps do not come close to the neutral, natural, dynamic, and vivid presentations of discrete circuit.
True Balanced Connection
The symmetrical design is the fundamental standout feature! Connect your turntable via the 5-pin mini XLR cable or standard XLR cables and enjoy the benefits of our new True Balanced Connection. A truly balanced gain stage can extract the final musical information, effectively filtering out any noise from interferences stemming from our noisy, modern homes (household appliances, wifi & Bluetooth, power cables, audio amplifiers).
Steel & aluminium casework. Entirely discrete audio circuitry. Fully symmetrical gain stage. Split passive RIAA EQ. Dual mono. Balanced in & outputs. Stepless impedance matching.
Unleash the full power
Phono Box DS3 B is ready for our new True Balanced Connection. Single-ended RCA connections, quite literally, only use half of your cartridge's output. With one of our new True Balanced phono cables and an MC cartridge you'll hear details and dynamics, previously exclusive to only the most expensive phono stages.
Handmade in EU
Made in Europe by technicians, engineers and designers with decades of experience. Expert craftsmanship. Sustainable products with a long lifetime. Audiophile audio performance.
|Input impedance:||Stepless 10 – 1000 ohms or fix 47kOhms|
|Input capacitance:||50, 150, 300, 400 pF|
|Gain (+ 6dB using XLR Out sockets):||40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65 dB|
|Signal / Noise ratio MM (40dB):||104dBV, 111dBV - ‚A‘ weighted|
|Signal / Noise ratio MC (60dB):||85dBV, 91dBV - ‚A‘ weighted|
|THD at 1 kHz:||<0,001% MM, < 0,004% MC|
|THD (20Hz-20kHz):||<0,005% MM, < 0,01% MC|
|RIAA-equalization curve accuracy:||< 0,25dB / 20Hz - 20kHz|
|Subsonic filter:||at 20Hz with 18dB/octave|
|Input:||1x 5-pin mini XLR / 1x pair XLR / 1x pair RCA phono|
|Line-level output:||1x pair RCA, 1x pair XLR|
|Wiring XLR sockets:||1 ground, 2 “hot” and 3 “cold”|
|Trigger In/Out:||12V on/off detector|
|Power supply DC:||18V/500mA|
|Power consumption:||18V/max.290mA DC, <0.5 W standby|
|Dimensions:||206 x 72 x 194 (205 with sockets) mm|
|Weight:||1480g without power supply|
“Pro-Ject hits the bull’s eye“
• Guitar strings glisten like dewdrops in the sun and synthesizer clouds hang like wisps of mist in front of the listener, seem freed from a certain constriction, breathe a sigh of relief, so to speak, when the 9CC EVO, especially stiff and adjustable in every direction carbon tonearm was connected to the DS3 B via XLR cable.
• The duo revealed itself in a mixture of relaxed, laid-back pose and delicate fine-tuning of the colour shades as well as in the equally discreet and concise flickering of the strings of the track aiming directly at the mind. Here, too, the reproduction had more air, expansion and natural swing when XLR connections were used.
• Thus, Pro-Ject’s “balancing act” turns out to be a high-class and risk-free feat on the high wire of analogue technology.
• Not only because of the high-quality MC-sampler as part of the SuperPack, the X8 definitely sounds like a higher class, namely emphatically clear and orderly, colourful as well as dynamically on the point.
• The discrete signal processing delivers a wide-ranging, detailed, and homogeneous sound image with tight bass and outstanding liveliness. And the price is also excellent!
“A luscious application, of discreet components“
• Even a non-balanced source benefits from a balanced input, as it breaks the hum loop of the ground connections often merged at the turntable and amplifier.
• On the front of the “box”, available in black and silver, there are more than enough adjustment options for virtually any pickup on this planet.
• Since the amplification factor (40dB to 65 dB) is not coupled to the operating mode “MM” or “MC”, Pro-Ject’s phono preamplifier can also be adapted to moving-iron systems with low output voltage.
• Vinyl lovers can continuously fine-tune the load impedance, for MCs via a small potentiometer – in the wide control range from 10 ohms to 1 kiloohm.
• In the listening test with proven MM and MC cartridges, the phono box convinced with an exemplary clean and above all very low-noise sound image for its price class, which radiated quite wonderful “analog” composure, calmness, and warmth.
• The sample from Austria, on the other hand, always seemed a bit “smoother” and preferred to seduce with a pleasantly rich sound.
• The phono box DS3 B sounded surprisingly mature and musical for the money. Especially in MC mode, it could fully show its strengths and its low noise.