Pre Box DS2 digital
Preamplifier with phono, digital and line inputs
Pre Box DS2 Digital – a true high performance all-arounder!
The advanced Pre Box DS2 Digital is an universal and very flexible pre-amplifier and D/A converter of highest class. The built in D/A converter AK4490, from high end manufacturer Asahi Kasai Microdevices, has five different digital filters which let you shape the sound to your preference. It offers full DSD256 support and upsampling of all input signals to 768kHz from USB, coaxial and optical inputs. This realizes high-resolution sound playback with a rich sound field and bass representation with less distortion. It features five digital inputs as well as analogue line level input and phono line in. The BT receiver supports aptX for best wireless sound conversion. That makes it suitable for any source available. One variable, one fixed analogue output and also one to connect the Pre Box DS2 Digital to your subwoofer are available. The samplerate converter (AK4137) features three different settings (sound modes). All that makes the Pre Box DS2 Digital the most versatile audiophile pre-amplifier D/A converter in its price range!
Due to its class-leading audio performance Pre Box DS2 Digital is an ultimate high-end bargain!
Magnetic real wood side panels in walnut, rosenut & eucalyptus are available separately & not included in the scope of delivery.
- Phono stage (MM/MC), Line In on board
- 5 digital Inputs: 1x USB, 2x optical, 1x coax, 1x BT (aptX)
- Top grade AK4490 D/A chip (32-bit PCM 768kHz / DSD256)
- Up to 32bit/768kHz asynchronous USB (XMOS technology)
- DSD64, DSD128 & DSD256 (DSD over PCM)
- Up to 24bit/192kHz for optical & coax inputs
- 5 selectable digital filter characteristics
- 3 selectable sound modes
- Headphone output on the front (6.3mm)
- High-end ultra low phase oscillator with superior noise rejection
- RCA line level solid-state analogue output stage
- Ultra linear & ultra low noise circuitry
- Magnetic side panels in eucalyptus, rosenut and walnut available separately
|2 analogue inputs||1x Line In (RCA), 1x Phono Line In (RCA)|
|5 digital inputs||1x coax (S/PDIF), 2x optical (TOSlink®), USB B, BT (aptX)|
|D/A-converter||AK4490 32-bit PCM 768kHz / DSD256|
|Sampling rate converter||AK4137EQ upsampling to 768kHz|
|Sampling rates||32/44,1/48/88,2/96/176,2/192/352,8/384/768 kHz|
|DSD support||DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256|
|Filter settings||5 different selectable on front|
|Frequency response||20Hz - 20kHz (+0/-1dB)|
|Analogue outputs||1 x 6.3mm Headphone Out (front)|
|1 x Sub Out|
|1 x Fix Out (RCA)|
|1 x Variable Out (RCA)|
|Output voltage||2.2 Veff (switchable +6dB gain gives 4.4 Veff )|
|Signal to noise ratio||113dB (20 - 20.000 kHz)|
|Power consumption||<1 Watt standby, 600mA max|
|Outboard Power supply||18V/1000mA DC (included)|
|Dimensions W x H x D||206 x 71 x 220 mm (Alu)|
|240 x 72 x 220 mm (Wood)|
|Weight||1570 g (Alu) without power supply|
|2000 g (Wood) without powersupply|
“The ultimate system hub”
• The sound quality of the Pre Box/Amp Box DS2 doesn’t disappoint.
• The DS2 manages to focus its attention on the rich acoustic guitar sound and discreetly allows all but the worst finger slips to step into the background.
• There was great power and attack in the thrashing guitar riffs, yet the pre/power never lost sight of precise, controlled playing – it’s death by a thousand cuts rather than simply bludgeoning you unconscious with noise.
• The Pro- Ject team gets the balance just right here, keeping the deep electronic bass firm and taut and with enough weight to underpin the delicate violin and ambient electronics that hover above.
• Inevitably, the Pre Box/Amp Box DS2 comes into its own with uncompressed hi-res sources.
• They provide a compelling sound, with power and precision that allow them to adapt to a variety of different musical genres.
For many a dream come true. Respect!
• The Pre Box DS2 also played balanced and detailed via the MM input and boasted impressive technical specs to boot.
• The Pre Box DS2 played lively and gripping. The bass was deep and powerful.
• The Pro-Ject Pre Box DS2 Digital is a consequently neutral, clean, and lively sounding preamp, a D/A converter, phono pre-, and headphone amplifier.
• The small, pretty and, neatly finished Pro-Ject preamp impresses across the board. In terms of features, the high-quality D/A converter is the highlight.
“A true marvel of integration”
• The features of the Pre Box DS2 Digital hardly leave anything to be desired.
• The Pre Box performed very concisely and dynamically, offering sharp contours in the spatial reproduction.
• The Pre Box DS2 Digital offered spectacular spatial depth and width, with distinct contours and perfectly defined and smooth highs.
• The phono input in the MM position sounded exceptionally clear, low-noise, and dynamic.
• The compact Pre Box DS2 Digital is a real jack-of-all-trades and can score nearly everywhere.
• In terms of sound, it would be hard to find a better device at a similar price.
The device is fully compatible with Windows 10. It may be necessary to reinstall the latest drivers after updating from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10.
You do not need a driver. The driver is already integrated in the operating system.
Turn off your Computer and press at start alt+cmd+p+r until another starting sound appears. With this command the USB bus will be reset and the USB Box will be recognized new.
There are many forum reports about that issue. It is a widely spread error affecting a wide array of USB DACs, unfortunately there is no current fix for this problem, since it lies in the Core Audio of Apple's OSX. We advice not to use our USB DACs with OSX El Capitan.
The DFU needs our driver to be installed as it depends on it. Please first remove the DFU and then install the Windows driver before installing the DFU.