Head Box DS2 B
Fully balanced high end headphone amplifier
Head Box DS2 B – High end balanced headphone amplifier
The market for HiFi headphones has been expanding rapidly in the last years. There have been brought out new models and new driver designs. These headphones are able to produce outstanding sound, the amplifiers from which they are fed mostly are mediocre. For example planarmagnetic headphones demand more current and simply need more power to be driven to their full potential. Our new Head Box DS2 B will drive anything with ease as it puts out powerful 1100 mW into 33 Ohm. It has three different current settings to match any headphone type and features four gain settings for high impedance headphones as well as sensitive in ear monitors. The fully balanced dual mono design is completed with a phase inverter to convert any unbalanced signal to a balanced one straight at the input. A balanced 4 Pin XLR output on the front guarantees perfect signal transmission to your headphone. The highly acclaimed Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 chip has been implemented for best possible power handling, which results in superior sound and a near dead silent noise floor. Both outputs on the front can be used simultaneously for shared listening experiences.
The Head Box DS2 B is able to adjust to every headphone in your collection: hard to drive dynamics, current hungry planarmagnetics and sensitive in ear monitors! Pure pleasure out of one box.
- Enough power to drive demanding headphones
- Dual mono design principle
- Four gain settings to match any headphone
- Three current settings to deliver best sonics
- Single ended (6.3 mm) and balanced (4 Pin XLR) headphone output
- Both outputs usable simultaneously
- Phase inverter built in at input stage to convert unbalanced signal to a balanced one for superior sound
- Powerstage realized by two TPA6120A2 chips
- BLUE ALPS potentiometer for best volume control
- Available in silver or black with or without side panels in Eucalyptus or Walnut
|Output power||2 x 550 mW (in 33 Ohms, both channels driven)|
|SNR||98 dB (A weighted, full output)|
|THD +N||< 0.02%|
|Gain (unbalanced)||0, 3, 9,12 dB (no load)|
|Gain (balanced)||6, 9, 15, 18 dB (no load)|
|Frequency response||20 Hz - 20 kHz (+/- 0.2 dB)|
|Analogue Inputs||1 pair RCA/Cinch|
|1 pair XLR|
|Headphone output||1 x 6.3 mm (unbalanced)|
|1 x 4 Pin XLR (balanced)|
|Analogue loop outputs||1 pair RCA/Cinch|
|1 pair XLR|
|Recommended headphone impedances||8 - 600 Ohms|
|Trigger in/out||12 V|
|Power supply||18 V / 1A DC|
|Standby power consumption||< 0.5 W|
|Dimensions W x H x D||206 x 71 x 218 mm (Alu)|
|240 x 72 x 218 mm (Wood)|
|Weight||1461 g (Alu) without power supply|
|1940 g (Wood) without power supply|
“This headphone amp should be in everyone‘s audio setup”
• Signal processing is strictly symmetrical through the dual mono architecture. Even unbalanced signals are automatically balanced by a phase inverter.
• The otherwise very sober and matter-of-fact sounding Beyerdynamic immediately begin to develop character and structure and gain musicality in the highs.
• By increasing the current, the mids get a nice extra crunch.
• The fundamental tone of voices improve and sound less hollow than in the clean setting.
• Later, when the track delivers more pressure in the bass, the Koss blossom and trump with extreme macro dynamics. The 1.1 watts the head box can deliver aren‘t phased. Rarely have we heard the Koss sound so good.
• A dimensional expansion, a higher resolution of the individualization. No matter what sound you are looking for, Pro-Ject will help you get closer to it.
• What we particularly liked are the individual customization options.[pdf]
stereoplay reviews the Head Box DS2 B
Anyone looking for a specialist should definitely listen to the Head Box DS2 B! The Head Box DS2 B plays more natural more textured and deeper. We could not find a headphone with which the head box would not have worked wonderfully with.